It was all going so well. The sides of the barge looked good. I'd even found some waterslide crests to liven up the red areas from a box at Bournville.
As a finishing touch, I gave them a light coat of matt varnish from my Army Painted rattle can.
It dried badly. In fact, it dried too early - before hitting the model. Result: a finish that might have been matt, but has the texture of fine sandpaper. I tried to pretend that I could live with it, but after a little while decided to be honest.
So, the red areas were given a light sanding with a very fine abrasive. I wasn't looking to remove the paint, just smooth the varnish. Amazingly, it worked OK. Not perfect, but good enough. A light brushed coat of matt, another sanding, and I was happy enough to brush (I'm not messing with spray paints for a while) satin acrylic on.
After that, the layers were assembled, complete with glazing. OK, the results aren't perfect, but as I said at the start, the aim is to finish something, and the search for perfection will be the enemy of that. As it is, sorting this out has taught me something; mistakes often do that!

What was the temperature when you did the sprayng?
ReplyDeleteI've not done any airbrushing since June and have kept any spray can us to late evening when it was just about cool. It sound like the solvent was evaporating before it hit the model. But in the summer we have had, moving the can any closer and it would haev flooded the model.
Thnings should be getting better now as we slip into the Autumn modelling season!
Luke
Warm, but not especially. I work in the garage where it is quite cool. I think the can has just gone off, as this is the second time it's given me a problem.
Delete