There's more practical Phil in August's issue of BRM than we've seen in the last few months. I start by showing how to add coal to a coaling stage. It's the same process as adding coal to a locomotive tender, something anyone can do to produce an immediate upgrade to their models.
Diesel fans aren't forgotten, with a quick detailing article based on the Hornby Railroad Deltic.
I'm not going to claim this is anything other than a beginner-friendly quick fix. Whatever you do, this model, dating from 1977, is too small in many dimensions. However, it's ideal for anyone who just fancies a good-looking loco to head up an express train. Fitted with sound, the price of around £130 is very appealing, so much so that I can't find one for sale right now!
Finally, I've been looking at fireless locos.
If you run one of these appealing beasts, your layout should include a charging point to fill it full of steam (and superheated water), so I did a lot of digging and tried to create something easy to build and authentic.
The camera has been out again, this time for the 009 layout Bryn Coeden.




My subscription copy arrived this morning, I particularly enjoyed your article on the fireless loco re-charging point!
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Simon.
Thanks - that's one of those articles that took a long while to produce, for not that many steps. Assembling the pipe took on and off, a morning!
Delete