Thursday, September 24, 2026

R486 Town Bank in The Collector

R486 Bank

My quest to build all the 1980s and 90s Hornby "Made in West Germany" kits continues, with one of the lesser-known models, R486 Town Bank, in The Collector. 

To be honest, I thought this would be a nice quick kit to build, commensurate with the tight deadline I was working under. As it turned out, it is a bit more involved, thanks to the corner shape. When it comes to the roof, I needed to come up with some techniques (in the article) to hold on to everything while the glue dried. 


One of the most interesting points is that the box describes the model shown as "enhanced". It's not; it's an early scratchbuilt prototype. Look at the brickpaper covering and dormers that don't match the ones in the kit. That cash machine is better than we get in to the box too. 

What it doesn't show is the red telephone box also included. Quite a nice kit too.  

For speed, I made extensive use of acrylic paint pens, and they were very handy too for window frames and doors. 

This is a nice kit, that could form the basis of a detailed model. Inside the doors, which I modelled open, there is a bit of interior. Given time, more could be scratch-built, so the blinds were superfluous. Or perhaps it could become; a trendy wine bar?  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil
The project fascinates me more than the building here. Would you please signpost me to Hornby WGerman manufactured kits?
Regards
Duncan

Anonymous said...

In the box photo it looks like there’s no sides on the dormers? Odd…

Phil Parker said...

I've studied the box closely, and I can't work out if there are or not. Weird.

Phil Parker said...

Duncan - Pretty much all of the plastic kits produced for Hornby in the late 80s/90s were from West Germany. Normally Pola.