Monday, April 10, 2006

Boat Face


Boat Face
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
I admit to being a little bit nervous about finishing the front of the bridge. This is an area you have to get right as it’s the face of the boat.

All those curved windows and joins between sections bode ill. As it was I needn’t have worried.

The windows are easy. The curves are hidden by the outside window frames so as long as I made a reasonable job, the bad stuff would be covered up. My corners aren’t perfect but they aren’t bad. The scalpel received a new blade (Am I the only person who uses them longer than I really should ?) and made sure the big knife had a keen edge. A ruler aided straight sections. Corners were cut freehand.

The vertical joins between sections – I cheated. By scoring the back of the plasticard with an Olfa plasticard cutter, I managed to keep the front whole while bending it properly around the existing bridge structure. At one end there was s tiny gap easily filled with microstrip.

The whole job took a couple of hours including cutting and fitting the inner frames.

No comments: