Thursday, August 24, 2006

Cruel Camera


VW
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
The camera lens can be unforgiving as many modellers have found to their cost. Those wonky lines and iffy paintwork you see, and probably laugh at, in the magazines often aren’t apparent to the naked eye.

So it is with my finished VW. Until I looked at the photo I hadn’t spotted the thin layer of dust covering the paint. The dust is there because the model was sat on the workbench while I was vigorously sanding some filler on another project (watch this space for more details). The bits are really tiny and of course I hadn’t looked properly.

The model has turned out OK. Not a showpiece job in any sense but fun to do. The Polish mouldings aren’t as crisp as we’d expect from a UK or US plastic car kit. Some of the part fitting was a bit iffy too but nothing that a little filler can’t sure. Fortunately the prototype would have been a bit rough so the end result is reasonably realistic.

I’m quite pleased with the headlights. Many people use jewels or silver paint but looking at real car headlights when they are switched off, they are quite dark. I coloured the back of the lenses with black marker pen and stuck them in place. Still shinny but dark. Possibly a bit too dark – maybe a dark grey rather than back would have been better.

No comments: