Friday, October 27, 2006

Petrol tank treatment stage 1 - Engine out

Time to pull my finger out and treat the rust in the fuel tank in my VW Camper. The usual plan is to use a product from POR in the USA to treat and then seal the inside of the tank which will stop it rusting and let me travel without stopping to change the fuel filter every thirty miles.

Stage one is to get the engine out of the way. I’ve never done this myself so have had to pay to get the work done. Because I’m on good terms with the guy who does mechanicals (& welding) for me, I’ve had the engine dropped on the drive. This allows me to work on the petrol tank at my own pace.

Engine removal isn’t too painful. If I had a suitable trolley jack I’d be able to do it myself I’m sure but as I don’t, I can’t. I do get to help which is always interesting and educational.

For now I have a mid-engined van. Admittedly this isn’t going to give the performance and handling you normally expect from this sort of vehicle, what with it siting where the cooker is supposed to be and not actually attached to anything.

No comments: