Sunday, May 13, 2007

Gods and fillers


fillersink
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Those who drop in here to find out how my VW Type 2 tinkering is going will have concluded that I’ve still got a broken lump of metal on the drive with no progress if you believe all that you read here.

Well, it’s still not exactly working but things have moved on. The paint is now on campers hind quarters.

Most evenings, weather permitting, I’ve done a bit of work. Often little more than 20 minutes or so of sanding and then laying on another layer of filler. Eventually I was happy and hit it with nice Rover electric blue topcoat. And at a distance of a couple of feet, things are looking pretty good.

Of course this makes the Gods angry so the weather has turned and keeps raining on my work, hence the dirt show in the picture. Progress has slowed but still continues.

Worse, the stupid filler has shrunk in places. You can clearly see the panel lines in the paint here. OK, so it’s probably only me, a concours judge or a potential purchaser would spot the problem, but it’s there. Worse, this was on the side that appeared to go really well. The other side took the repeated sanding and swearing to get right.

At the moment I’m going to pretend nothing is wrong. I want to drive my van and if that means minor imperfections, I’ll live with it for the time being. Perhaps later in the year I’ll attend to the problem with some fine sanding filler but now I need progress.

No comments: