Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Fishing Boat


fishing boat kit
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Post 401 – Time for a new project.

From the “pending” cupboard comes the George Turner fishing boat kit that’s beeing living in there for several months. From the moment I saw this kit I knew I wanted to build it. At the time it wasn’t quite in production so I ended up with the boat that became “Little Miss Minty”. However as soon as I had the chance money changed hands.

This is a hugely popular kit. Loads of them have appeared at boat shows around the country – there is rarely a show report in Model Boats that doesn’t have a picture of one somewhere. Unfortunately this means that a review has already appeared in a mag so the only place you will see a write up of my version is on this blog.

The model itself is interesting. The thing it isn’t is a realistic model of a fishing boat. Instead it’s a caricature of one. This is probably what has made it so appealing to other modellers. The fact you can paint the model in pretty colours helps as well.

The kit itself consists of a vac-formed plastic hull and resin fittings. These are excellent and another reason the kit has been a success. Basic instructions are provided and I’ve supplemented these with the review in the magazine.

For a change I’ve even followed advice on the motorising unit to use, a ready built Graupner unit which looks a bit odd to me but I’ll give it a go.

No comments: