Sunday, December 07, 2008

Assembled beam engine

Airfix Beam EngineOK, were are nearly there now with the beam engine. I've finished putting the model together and it's looking good. All the joints work OK and the valve gear looks very nice when you rotate the flywheel.

Some of the pivots and little bits of "metalwork" had to be touched in but the greeny plastic Airfix moulded the kit in doesn't stand out against the metalcote paintwork.

Overall though I think I'm still missing an indefinable "something". If an identical model made from metal painted exactly the same way stood next to this plastic kit I think you would be able to tell the difference. I'm not expecting the paint to perform miracles but even if metal was painted in the same way I think it would look more like metal.

The next stage is some serious pondering. The metalcote will take polishing, which will help to bring the ungreen areas alive a little. Perhaps some washes of black to heighten the shadows as well ? Maybe even a touch of rust ? Dunno yet, I'll think on it and let you know.

No comments: