Friday, April 10, 2009

The Coal Tank's wobbly back end


Coal tank bogie
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker
At the back of the coal tank there should be a radial truck - one of the more complicate wheel carrying devices found on your average steam engine (read how to build them in larger scales). All model railway kit manufacturers cheat and turn the truck into a bogie - it looks the same and works in a pretty similar way but is a whole lot easier to build.

This one seems, unless I've misunderstood the instructions, to have rather more play around the axles than I would like to see. In fact all the metalwork seems to do is hold the wheels in roughly the right position. I don't understand it but decided that I might be wrong so the best bet would be a test of the chassis.

The guys in our club O gauge team generously allowed me to make use of their layout "Kimble". I've not hooked up any pickups so a 9V battery provided the juice to run the motor.



As you can see, the chassis runs. Nicely. Over points and stuff. All the wheels stay on the track and if I can gather electricity efficiently from the track all should be OK.

The thing is, those rear wheels don't really behave as I would like. Too much forward and aft movement for my liking. I think I'm going to bush the axle anyway. This ought not to affect the track holding detrimentally but will just make things look better.

No comments: