Friday, August 14, 2009

Crewmen

Garratt CrewThanks to speedy work by S&D Miniatures and some lightening fast painting by yours truly, the Garratt Locomotive has a crew.

I'm a little worried though. The driver looks very like Bluto from the Popeye cartoons. It's something to do with the beard, angry expression and figure, although the later isn't quite corpulent enough. I don't really understand how I managed this either - it wasn't intentional, in fact I didn't spot the likeness until I looked at the photograph.

Both figures are really mainline crewmen but they will suffice for industrial use. Watching British Transport Films while working recently, it seems that everyone in the 1950's wore a hat of some kind and engine drivers always had a proper peaked cap to denote their superior status over the flat cap wearing population. And they both have shiny footwear thanks to regular shining and in this case, satin black paint.

No comments: