Sunday, January 23, 2011

No time for lazy modellers

I don't normally simply re-post links to other blogs - you've come here to read original content - but in this case I'm going to make an exception for an excellent posting.

Read this post on the 1:220 blog

I agree with pretty much all of this. Once upon a time modellers used to read books and magazines. They used to try stuff and sometimes fail. Now they just hit a forum and demand the answer to their question. Now. Immediately.

This isn't an uncommon problem. In the early days of t'interweb I worked on the helpdesk for a research centre. One of the more common e-mails received to the general mailbox was along the lines:

I have to do a project on ????? Please send me all that you have on the subject.

Which was the senders way of saying they had to write something and all they were going to bother to do was write a whiny e-mail and expect someone else to do the rest for them. Needless to say this was to be carried out at no cost to the requester no matter how long it took. The correct answer was "Go to a library and do some research" but normally these e-mails were just quietly lost as no doubt that response would not be appreciated.

In a similar vein, there is a post on one of the few forums that I watch asking that a magazine runs a series on producing a fully automated layout run with DCC by a computer.

Why ? If the mag did do this, it would cost s fortune and the results would be applicable to a tiny handful of modellers worldwide. This sort of job required quite a lot of R&D and if you aren't interested, would be deadly dull for readers. Even then, what are the chances that the original writer would then follow the details published ? Very small I suspect. Their response would be along the lines of, "Very nice. I might have a go one day..." or "It's not exactly what I was looking for."

No comments: