Saturday, April 25, 2015

That's 15 quid wasted then...


A few days ago, I was cleaning out my electric razor and lost one of the cutting heads inside the foil. No idea where it went, but it was gone.

Preferring to mend things rather than throw them away, I thought I'd pick up a replacement, fit it and we'd be back to normal. Sadly, both Boots stores near me have largely empty spares bins for this sort of thing (see also: electric toothbrush heads. People in Leamington don't fix things) so I bought a modestly priced replacement razor on the basis that a spare wouldn't hurt, and headed on-line.

Here I hit a problem. The device doesn't have a brand name on it, nor a model number. I vaguely recalled it is a Remington and also something about being able to clean it under a tap. I've had the thing a long while but it works well so I felt it was still worth repairing.

Unfortunately, on-line, you have to gamble that you've ordered the right bits. I thought I'd won up until I opened the package. Sadly, none of the parts fit, nor could I see a way of bodging them so they would. Can't send it back of course as it's not the suppliers fault I can't remember the model I'm after. Sadly, that means 15 quid wasted and my trusty razor ends up in the electrical recyclables bin.

I've cut out the front of the box the new razor came in and stuck it in the drawer the thing lives in. Not making that mistake again.

5 comments:

Tanllan said...

Hi Phil,
There would be no harm in asking the vendor if they will take the parts back and give you a refund. OK they may make a re-stocking charge and you will have to pay the return postage. But you may then only be a fiver out of pocket.

Regards,

geoff

Andy from Workshopshed said...

That's a good point Phil, ease of repair often relies on the ability to identify a replacement part.

Paul B. said...

Easy solution - go retro and buy a razer that uses traditional flat double edged blades. A pack of five blades costs a quid, lasts a fair while and cut well, and will still work in a power cut. Mine's an Edwin Jagger, hand made in Sheffield, not the cheapest but will outlast me and anyway, who doesn't like quality tools?

Phil Parker said...

Geoff - Don't think they would take back a packet I split open in an effort to see if the cutters could be modified to fit the razor. A Lesson learned by me.

Paul - Wet shaving scares me. I suspect I'd peel my skin off...

Stuart Firth said...

They don't want us fixing things these days. Years ago the chuck on my electric drill broke and I went to buy a new one. It was the same price as the entire drill! Bought it anyway - still working 20 years later.