Monday, September 21, 2015

New Street sation mock-up

 
Yesterday, the new look Birmingham News Street station was fully opened to the public. A few days earlier, I finally answered a question that had been bugging me for a while, and it turns out to be related.
 
Every time I head into Brum, as we pass Small Heath, there is an unusual girder structure beside one of the bridges. I'd always assumed it was an advertising hoarding of some kind, but an usually shaped one.
 
Browsing on Rail Radar, I found I was able to zoom in and have a look at the side you can't see from the tracks, but I couldn't see any advertising. A look on Google Street view wasn't any more help.  
 
Knowing exactly where the thing was did though, typing a request into Google, brought back a discussion that linked to a newspaper story. It turns out that this is a test piece, very like the ones I build to try new materials or techniques for models, but for the cladding on New Street station.
 
new street facade 4
 

No comments: