Monday, December 21, 2015

Flame out

Gas Torch

Working on the Barclay kit, I've found my soldering iron a bit lacking in oomph. I think it's letting me that a new bit is required as the metal parts aren't that large, for a 45W iron anyway.

No worries, I have a small gas torch on the bench. This handy tool is great for heating up localised areas and blowing solder along joins.

The gas reservoir was empty but I quick fill with some Swan lighter gas sorted this, or so I though. Trying to light the flame on a cheapo cigarette lighter, there was noise but no ignition.

The torch being empty had filled with air. After around 4 minutes, I'd blown this through and started firing on proper, flammable, gas. Longer than I had expected certainly and worth bearing in mind if you find yourself in the same situation.

No comments: