Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Warehouse Wednesday: Barge House, London


Last week I had a meeting in London. For reasons that need not concern us here, I arrived at the address shown on a document, only to discover that the meeting was in a different part of town. 

Rushing from somewhere a 10 minute walk from Waterloo to Waterloo, I spotted a fantastic looking warehouse - a real gem. Trouble was, I didn't have time to stop and take a photo. A tube to Mayfair was calling and so idle tourism wasn't on the agenda. 

Anyway, I looked up the warehouse on Google Street view and was amazed. Although it's been gentrified a little, there's still a wealth of original features to be seen. The wooden flaps by the loading doors are a rare survivor for a start - common enough in the day but they either disappear or are converted to posh glass edged balconies. 

While perusing the Google, I was also struck by how narrow the building is. Maybe it's been shortened, but if so, quite some time ago as the only reason for doing this would be building the OXO building in the late 1920s.


Anyway, this week you can easily have a look for yourself - just follow this link to streeview

No comments: