Commune: A commune is a shared living group, a local government unit, or a deep mental connection.
There is a park full of office blocks near Stratford that has appeared on the market. Ryon Hill is known to me as a couple of my friends were based there for work.
You can read the full details here.
It's a nice place, with some 80s-style buildings, and I think it would be perfect for a commune.
Not some hippy-dippy rubbish, or the sort of place where everyone falls under the spell of a svengali, and all end up being abused and killing themselves.
No. I'm thinking of a community of people who like making things. Craftspeople. People like those who read this blog. People who celebrate creativity.
My completely unfunded plan, is that the upper floors of the buildings would be converted to modest apartments. Personally, I reckon I need something about four times the size of a Premier Inn room for a bedroom, kitchen, living space, bathroom, and a small office. Couples and families will need more space, but we can work on that. There's a lot of space on offer on the site.
The exciting stuff is the downstairs. You only get to live in the commune if you are an active participant in a hands-on hobby or craft. Thus, I'd have space to put up some model railways and a separate studio for making things.
Other crafts would enjoy the same facilities. I'm not sure if these should be shared, or private. Probably a mix of the two. The classic car restorers could have the parking area under one of the buildings for welding, grinding etc. For safety alone, it's probably sensible that they enjoy a share garage. Arguably, part of the area should be split off for model engineers - with space for up to a 2ft gauge track running around the site.
We'll also have retail space for people to sell their wares, and buy others. Look out for a branch of something that looks like Beatties! That's alongside art supplies, wool, material and all other types of shop that people like us enjoy a rummage through.
I'm assuming that most of the occupants will have other "proper" jobs, so a shared workspace (there is already the remains of a Costa) would be wise. That way, you can do your job during the day, and your passion at evenings and weekends (stop sniggering at back). I'd like to see a library and pub too. Just because I like those sorts of places. Maybe a museum as well, with restoration people on-site. I could happily donate a load of exhibits for the railways and Isle of Man galleries.
I'm thinking as well as railway modellers, engineers, classic car restorers, the place would be home to bakers, artists, gardeners, potters and pretty much any other practical hands-on creative activity.
My dream is that all these enthusiasts will be lovely people, so peace and harmony will reign. We'll have regular exhibitions to appreciate each other's work, and share ideas. I'm sure the retail will attract custom from nearby Stratford-on-Avon and further afield.
Some sort of governing board will be needed; I'm not proposing this as me in charge. I want more time for modelling anyway! We'll all be required to help out for a day a month around the site, keeping it tidy and assist the gardeners with the plant life. That serves to look after the grounds, and ensure everyone feels ownership of the place.
You're probably thinking this is one of my madder posts, but I dream of something like this. A place where people can enjoy their hobbies and share that enthusiasm with others. Am I the only one?
If I'm not, and you have a large amount of money burning a hole in your pocket (or you are phenomenally rich and want to offload what is loose change to you), then please get in touch!


No comments:
Post a Comment