I suppose that I ought to mention that I managed to blag a free ticket for Stafford this year, by virtue of having given the exhibition organiser my old layout, "Edgeworth". Mind you, this, and York, are both on the list of shows I happily attend as a punter, paying to go in. Stafford is always a worthwhile trip. Partly because I get to take the train, and then vintage bus, to the showground. Yes, it would be cheaper to drive, but not nearly as fun.
Of course, as I'd save my money on a ticket, I was duty-bound to spend at least the entry fee on the club second-hand stall. But that's for tomorrow.
I've been visiting Stafford for a long while. In the old days, it took place in February, often with snow on the ground, and in three adjoining halls rather than this single building. They have gradually grown to completely fill the "new" hall, with all of the generous balconies being in use.
Being in one room gives the show a nice atmosphere. It is a big event, but still feels like a club show, which is what it is.
Layout quality is always excellent, and I normally book a shoot or two for BRM. This time, I recognised many of the display as ones that have appeared on our pages, at least one of those was so pleased with the way we showed off his excellent layout, the magazine itself is part of the display!
Yes, I am a bit smug about this. North Cornwall Brewery is my kind of layout, and so when the owner is pleased with the photos, I am delighted.
Despite being a big show, there are a good number of small layouts, the ones I think inspire people, and those that I'd like to build. I don't think there was a single stand-out "Phil would like to build this" model this year, but many fell into this category. Maybe I'm so busy with other things that even my imagination doesn't fancy adding another project to the list!
Trade was excellent, with many of the big names represented, including Dapol, who don't do many shows now.
But the cake. I finally, after many years, succumbed to the giant custard tart.
I'm sure these things used to be size of a coracle, but even now, they are pretty large. But, I had snuck out of the hall to the old cafe, and just gave in. You always regret the things you don't do, people say, and this year was the time to stop looking.
Handy hint, the waiting time for the old cafe, which was beside a dog show, was much less than the one in the hall I'm told. Since your wristband allows you in and out, this worked well. Better still, they are finally taking cards, so no more looking at the menu and deciding how much cash you have left.
Anyway, another really enjoyable show. There are more photos over on my Flickr feed.




No comments:
Post a Comment