Monday, June 12, 2006

Flux


Templers Copalux Flux
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.

Tom asked, “What do you use for flux, and where do you get it?”

When soldering you are supposed to use a “proper” liquid flux – at least according to all the books on the subject. However it’s never available when I want some and besides I’ve never found it necessary.

Currently I’m using Templers Copalux flux bought from a DIY store. It’s a paste flux that seems to do the job nicely. It’s wise to clean it off the piece after soldering – use “Shiny Sinks” from a hardware store or the cleaning isle of Tesco. I have left a couple of test pieces uncleaned for a few weeks and nothing has gone green. Mind you, it has the consistency of Vasaline so I doubt paint would stick to it very well !

The picture is black & white because I’ve wruiten a review of solders for the DOGA newsletter and I’ve lost the colour version.

“Any top tips for a complete beginner?”

Make sure the metal you are soldering is clean. If I’m not sure I rub it with a fibreglass pencil to make sure it shines.
Don’t try and solder big lumps of metal together – or at least not in your first days with the iron. The metal will suck heat away from the join. Practise on spare bits of fret or thin strips from the K&S rack.
If you use lead-free solder. Make sure it is the sort with a small amount of silver in it. Maplin sell something suitable for £2.49 for 4m

Hope this helps. If anyone has any more questions – feel free to e-mail me

1 comment:

tomdg said...

Thanks :) I'll give it a go hopefully at the weekend.