Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Manx Chassis


iomchassis
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
OK, so this is a bit late as I got this far on Friday but I thought I might as well blog it anyway.

The Isle of Man Peacock chassis is finished. Not completely, there is still brake gear to add, but enough for me to be happy I can build these things and make them work.

This is a pretty fiddly build. Not that this is the fault of the kitmaker, Beyer Peacock have to take the blame. If only they had used a more conventional design. Everything assembles OK as long as you take care to open slots a little or file cusp away. Nothing too challenging although perhaps off-putting for the beginner. If you’ve done a couple of etched kits and take your time then this is do-able.

One point to watch is the front pony, which is fiddly to hold while keeping everything square. The bearings need to be pushed in a bit to grip the axle properly and this is the first time I have preferred top hat to waisted.

Anyway it’s back in the box now. Once day I’ll get around to building the body to go with it.

No comments: