Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Fast paint


green dome
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Unable to get GWR green in tinlet form suitable for airbrushing, I was able to buy it in a aerosol can. Now I like aerosols for boat work – they put out loads of paint allowing quick coverage resulting in a good even finish. I used to employ them on model railway locomotives as well for years. The finish I got from a Humbrol mini spray of matt black couldn’t be beaten even with an airbrush.

Of course I’ve had the airbrush for a few years and several locos have received its attentions. Hence I wasn’t quite as prepared as I might have been therefore for the speed at which a Precision Paints spray can covers the small primed model.

The coverage was really good. Three thin coats and the green was really solid. Airbrushing can leave thin bits where the undercoat affects the main colour. No such problems here. The biggest worry was drips or runs and I fixed this with a quick shot from the hair drier between each coat. The only other risk would be putting too thick a coat on. I checked the model in daylight and stopped when the coverage was sufficient. No, “one more coat for luck” this time – so no more runs either !

No comments: