Saturday, April 21, 2007

Getting thinner


redpaint
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
I have a pot of red paint. It’s only reason for existence is for painting buffer beams . As such I don’t actually use much of it so when I do the consistency is usually that of double cream. Sometimes this is OK for me but today even I had to admit it would be like painting with jelly.

In theory I would rush straight down to the shops and buy another pot. In fact if I were proper modeller I’d have bought a new pot of the approved shade before starting painting.

Not me of course, I take the ecologically sound option not to throw away paint just because its covering powers are the same as Polyfiller. Squirting thinners into the top and mixing it in does the job. Mind you it took nearly a quarter of a tinlet of thinner and a lot of stirring to get a nice brushable paint !

It took two coats to paint the locomotive buffer beams though. Perhaps a little less thinner next time.

No comments: