Friday, June 07, 2013

I finally emptied the bottle!

Dead Zap

Today is a momentous day.

I have done something I've never done before.

I emptied a bottle of Zap-a-Gap superglue!

OK, this might not sound that impressive. On the other had this is the Internet, a place where cats falling over is enough to disrupt an office, so my achievement is relative.

Anyway, normally the level of Zap reaches about 4mm from the bottom when it becomes a bit gloopy and then hardens. I don't mind, that represents many months happy model making so it's not a huge chunk of my budget to buy a couple of bottles a year.

To empty a bottle, either I've looked after it well (I haven't, it lives on a shelf with indirect sunlight), the formula has changed (don't think so) or I've just used a lot more this year. That might be the case - it is my fixative of choice - but I can't see it. Maybe I've just been lucky.

One thing I do do is clean out the top for the bottle so it's a reasonable fit. Glue gradually builds up inside it but if you screw a bradawl in there, the gluey plug can be pulled out. Cleverly the gunge doesn't stick to the inside of the top so while the outside looks horrible, the inside is clean as a whistle.

Anyway, if someone can just tell me where I put the spare bottle I bought a few months ago, I'll get back to work.

Note: If you are feeling the need to tell me that I'm wasting my money buying proper glue and that the stuff you get in tubes from the pound shop is just as good, don't bother. It isn't. Really. I've tried it and you are getting what you are paying for. Since I pay 5 times as much and get 6 months or mores good modelling, I think I'll stick with what I know. (Pun intended)

1 comment:

Iain Robinson said...

I agree with you completely about glues and getting what you pay for. I haven't tried this brand, but I will once my current Loctite runs out. There's also a lot to be said for getting to know the performance characteristics of a particular brand of glue so that you know how it is going to react and can depend on it. Ditto the tip about keeping the lid clean, even at the expense of fingers stuck together while trying to do so!