Thursday, October 30, 2014

A couple of souvenirs




"What did you bring back from your holiday Phil?", I hear you ask.

Well, there is an awful lot of stuff the tempt the tourist but assuming you don't need a "genuine" Aboriginal boomerang or didgeridoo and prefer something railway related then the list becomes a lot shorter.

In my suitcase, a GWR 0-4-2 was to be found. Purchased for $20AUS from the convention second hand stall, this is a K's whitemetal kit still running on its original wheels. While the paintwork could do with a little touching up and a new smokebox dart is called for, the loco runs quite a bit better than the poorly Airfix GWR version I bought from eBay to operate Edgeworth.

I quite like the idea that I've imported a British model built by an Aussie. It's perfect reminder of the convention.

A plastic Koala might at first appear to have less of a model railway connection, but I spotted a wild one whilst photographing a model railway out in the wilds of Adelaide. Not something that happens in the UK!

Koala

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,
You may be interested to know that 1420 is the preserved 14xx at the South Devon Railway. Their website shows a photo of her in this paint scheme but with differences in the fittings.
She is currently out of service so may be getting a change of livery.
I have just purchased a Class 33 33002 in the grey and yellow Dutch livery from Heljan, lovely model well worth the £99 and ideal for my layout of the preserved line. But on a visit to the SDR this week saw a new 33 in original green, then noticed the number D6501, is 33002 in a previous life. Oh dear. How inconsiderate :-(

Phil Parker said...

Thanks - I'll take a look at the real loco. Apart from the smokebox dart though, mine stays as it is. There is something about buying a British loco built in Oz that really appeals to my sense of the ridiculous. :-)