Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Warehouse Wednesday: Yellow brick London

London warehouse

Somewhere near the Thames, in a back street, I found this sympathetically gentrified warehouse.
 
I like the wooden doors and the crane. Presumably the doors wouldn't have enjoyed windows in the past - solid wood seems more likely. The crane is probably real though, and would make a nice simple subject to scratchbuild. I've seen very similar cranes on lots of warehouses so I'd guess it an "off the peg" design.
 
The rounded corner engineering bricks around the doors are interesting too. Presumably this was to avoid wearing the yellow brick (is this very soft?) with ropes.

1 comment:

Huw Griffiths said...

Possibly - but I'd imagine there could also have been an element of trying to avoid tearing up any ropes running across the edges.

I'm not sure - but I'd imagine that somebody in the "Museum of London Docklands" might have some idea (or might know where some documents are which might give a clue).

It could be interesting to find out ...