Saturday, September 03, 2016

Bournville 2016

Bournville Show SignLast time I visited Bournville show was in 1997. I know this because my driving licence still carries the souvenir 3 points I acquired for the back half of my camper van going through a red traffic light. Since then, I've preferred to stay away.

Last weekend though I decided that as I knew one of the layouts (Broom) and could get there by public transport, I'd have another go.

A train ride to Birmingham was followed by an interesting trip on a bus until the entry sign hoved into view. I'd like to say that anyone who upon climbing the stairs of a double deker bus doesn't look to sit in the front seats is weird.

The show is held in an old asylum, but I'll talk about this on Wednesday. Suffice to say, this made the trip worthwhile on its own.

If you've ever been to a show held in a school, you'll be familiar with the set-up. Small layouts in different rooms, plus others strung down a corridor. Not perfect but it works. Maybe the rooms could have done with a little more ventilation on such a hot day, but there's not much the organisers could do about that!

Constable Hart works

As a small layout fan, the lack of massive tail-chasers doesn't bother me in the slightest. My favourite was actually 3 layouts - Reely Grate, The Muckworks and Primrose Hill. Each a minimum space O gauge scene connected to the next via a short fiddle yard.

Primrose Hill

Loads of detail, typically industrial higgledy piggledy buildings, it all looked great fun. OK, operation was limited but I'd have enjoyed building it.

Broom struggled a bit as the owner had picked up the wrong stock box, the contents having the wrong couplings for the locos.

Next door was a nice modern image layout with a night time theme. Despite the open front, the lights and top cover made it look like night time, even though you could easily see everything.

In the corridor, there was something I haven't seen for years - a"rabbit warren" layout. Half a dozen identical 009 locos appearing and disappearing through tunnel mouths in a mountain. Great fun to watch even if totally unrealistic.

Lone Star 2

My final favourite was non-operational, a Lone Star diecast display. The range of models on show was far greater than I knew existed. Talking to the owner, the full history shows dozens of variations on each model.

Severn Models Toolkits

Trade was what you'd expect for a local show. I came away with some electrical bits, laser cut wooden bridge kit and an American locomotive. I was very tempted by Severn Models etched toolboxes too.

Finally, cake. Superb. Loads of choice, home made and very cheap. My only complaint was the the gooey chocolate I chose didn't come with a fork for eating, fortunately I carry a spork for such crises!

More photos on Flickr. 

4 comments:

Andy in Germany said...

"... my driving licence still carries the souvenir 3 points I acquired for the back half of my camper van going through a red traffic light..."

You can't leave us with half the story after setting it up like that...

And why am I not suprised that you carry a Spork?

What was the name of the Modern Image layout?

Paul B. said...

Spork's are great aren't they! I have several, including a glow in the dark one (present from my brother), but so far have resisted the titanium version.
Alpkit make some nice titanium cutlery, worth investigating if, like me, you're a gear freak.

Phil Parker said...

Andy:

The MPD is called "Baggies TMD". I'm tempted to say it was "bostin' ".

Points on the licence? Well, I was driving to the show in it's old venue in 1997 with a demo stand in heavy traffic on the dual carridgeway through the town - slower than the speed limit.

Approaching a pedestrian crossing, the lights started to change so I braked. Then I realsied I wouldn't stop in time so took my foot off the brake but didn't accelerate. Hence I rolled through the lights and while the front of the van crossed the line on amber, the back end crossed on red. Had I accelerated rather than braked, there would have been no story.

5 cars back and Policeman spotted this and pulled me over. After a few minutes in the car being shouted at, (there had been a fatal accident there the week before) I was sent a summons and pleaded guilty by post. 3 points and a 30 quid fine - better than the 60 quid and at least 6 points I'd been promised.

Technically, he was right. The rules are that if any part of the vehicle crosses the line at red, you are in the wrong. I suspect that he'd seen an old van and hoped to get a driving without MOT but was thwarted by that. Or maybe he'd been involved with the RTA and was more sensitive.

The journey home was completed at no more than 35mph, even on the fast bits and quite a lot less in built up areas.

Feeling guilty (I don't like driving and am very aware that you are in control of a heavy killing machine) I took an advanced driving course which I enjoyed. Never took the test as I don't feel I'm assertive enough although they were happy to let me have a go. Still useful though.

So, I have a souvenir PC20 points on my licence. And I'll never drive to Bourneville again - I have even turned down a subsequent invite.

Andy in Germany said...

Ouch. I wish more drivers thought like you though, instead of taking advantage of the weight and power of the weapon they drive...