Thursday, March 30, 2017

A shed, another Wickham plus loads of video in BRM

More Wickham action?

Yes, in the April 2017 issue of BRM, I'm building an O gauge trolley for the diorama I put together last month.

Wickhamdiorama

The model is from an NBrass locos kit and fitted with a Tenshodo SPUD for motive power. Obviously this is designed fro OO gauge, but there are ways to change this, which you can read about in the article.

Changing scale, I've also had a crack at a Wills Craftsman kit for a single road engine shed.

Wills Engine shed

Keen kit nerds will spot that this is supplied with a stone finish. I thought I'd be clever and go for brick instead, which took a little more work than I'd expected, but the results look nice. Craftsman kits are great in that you can make changes or additions easily by buying packs of the appropriate materials from the same companies range.

Over in the reviews sections, I'm taking a look at Heljan's 1361.

Heljan 1361

It's not perfect so I'll be doing a few modifications and personalisations next month.

On the DVD,you get double Phil. First, I'm making another Wills kit, the venerable scrap yard model which was one of the first kit buildings I even built. 


I've always liked this kit and it makes a nice little feature for the corner of a layout that shouldn't be beyond anyone's abilities. You don't have to make a perfect job of it after all - a bit of wonkiness is perfectly acceptable. The model is set into a scene too as it's important to understand that building the kit isn't the end of the process, just part of the fun.

Outside the studio, I've been chatting to Hornby's Paul Isles. 


Our interview is in the DVD Extras section, something we are developing as a place for interesting content but not the professional quality stuff on the main disk. Readers of the digital version of the mag will see me trying out the new Bachmann Ultima system in a similar manner.  

No comments: