Monday, November 27, 2017

Hanger fix

For reasons that will become obvious in the January issue of BRM, I've become interested in Canadian things recently. 

Spotting a Canadian Pacific clothes hanger on a second hand stall for little money, I picked it up. I like wooden hangers and advertising ones are especially appealing. A silly thing, but they are usually good quality and come with some history. I like to imagine who has owned them before me - you don't get that with plastic!

Anyway, the hanger was obviously missing a bit along the bottom. At first I assumed it was dowel, but a look online showed me that something either square or rectangular was required. 

Not being able to identify the wood the hanger is made from (go on, someone tell me) I've used some basswood (lime) as there was a length about the right size in the stash. It's too light but then I'm not pretending this hasn't been repaired, I just don't want it to look broken. 

The corners needed jointing with some dark wood, more from the stash, and a couple of coats of sating varnish finished the job. 

I know this is a daft project, but I get an odd sense of satisfaction repairing something that might otherwise have been thrown away. It now hangs in the wardrobe with a shirt on it doing the job it was designed for years ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil

As probably dozens of readers will write in to advise, the wood of the original hanger is beech. A great repair job! Perhaps a coat of varnish would finish it off. I've got a couple of old hangers myself with the names of forgotten shops on them, so good to hear of a like-minded person.

Chris

Nick Brad said...

I like it so I must be in the same boat as you mentally. What it really needs is a CP shirt or tee to hang on it now.

James H said...

I look forward to reading about anything Canadian - having visited as a 9 year old I was entranced by the size of the trains and of the scenery - be it endless prairies or the majestic heights of the Rockies.