Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Fitting the motor and servo


Happy with the superstructure, I'm fitting the working parts in the tugboat hull. There didn't seem to be much point in doing this any earlier as I wasn't convinced the kit was going to sail anywhere other than the bin!

I want a large propeller and this combined with the shape of the hull, forces the shaft to be fitted at a steeper angle than I'd normally aim for. This means the motor is going to be high up and after considering a big block of something to support it, I realised it could just hang upside down from the deck.

A little messing around with bits of plastic, a metal motor mount and some epoxy glue sorted this all out. The prop spins around happily enough and I've pored plenty of epoxy into the holes around the shaft to keep the water out.


Sticking with the deck-hanging theme, the servo also naturally found itself fixed well above the hull. A small mounting plate was made from plastic, the servo screwed in and then the whole lot glued in place with plenty of solvent. There are some blocks of more plastic behind the plate to make the whole lot nice and solid.

Everything seems to work OK, leaving me to work out where all the other parts are going to go in there. 

No comments: