Monday, September 16, 2019

Pick up a Peckett


Dropping into my local model shop, Mark, the owner, said, "I've got a loco for you." And handed me a red box. Inside was their latest 0-6-0 Peckett in Sherwood Colliery livery. I'd pre-ordered it as soon as I could admit I knew it was coming, and it's now here.

Since I was in a model shop, I insisted we test ran the locomotive. Although it's covered by a warranty, I like to check it's not going to burst into a ball of flames the moment power is applied. First impressions were good - the model is slightly tight but even a few feet of moving loosened it up to a lovely trundle. I'm sure it will benefit from a gentle run-in and embarrass every kit-built locomotive in my collection.


Back home, I could take a proper look and what a cracking model this is from Hornby. Everything is crisp, there is plenty of detail and it's all well done. None of the wobbly pipework I tend to fit, which I then say is "in service" damage...


Obviously, the decoration is fantastic. There's no way I'd have lined a model out this well, or made such a good job of wasp stripes on the buffer beam.


Even the cab detail is a delight to examine. I remember the days of a single lump backhead or eve the detail being moulded into a wraparound cab on the Jinty. This stuff is as good as could hope to produce from a High-Level models kit.

There is one niggle though. The cab handrails are designed to come out of a mould and therefore the same thickness as the cab sides. Some lengths of wire will look a bit better. I'll spend some time with prototype photos and see if there is anything else to pick up too. Then, perhaps a little dirt...

For £99 though? I'm not complaining. 


3 comments:

Chris Ford said...

That is stunning. Over picky with the cab handrails? The problem is I don't need one - no I really don't. No I....

Paul B. said...

For once, I'm glad that I'm skint. I really could be tempted, but I don't need another red box cluttering up my house, lovely though the contents are, contents which will only rarely see the light of day until it gets sold on.
We modellers are terrible when it comes to buying stuff that we like but don't need.

matt scrutton said...

mine lasted one day as Sherwood. I'll send you a photo of the result