Sunday, September 15, 2024

A cab ride along the Kent & East Sussex Railway

A trip to Kent a few days ago gave me the chance to reaquaint myself with the K&ESR after many years away. Since I was nice and early, I enjoyed the trip to Bodiham from Tenterdon on the 8:45 train. Arriving at the terminus, I wandered around a little and then returned to the train. 

"Hello Phil. Would you like to ride up front?"

Of course I would! So, here is a sequence of photos taken along the line from the back (which was leading) of a Class 20 diesel. 






What impressed me was the professionalism of the crew. Every signal was confirmed, probably vital when travelling nose first, but still important. Every token, and there are many, was aknowledged. They might be volunteers, but they operate like regular drivers earning thier keep. 


 Of course, I need a model of 20 087 one day as a souvenier of the terrific day out.

1 comment:

Simon Hargraves said...

Until a couple of weeks ago, this was my local preserved railway...and my Dad used to take me up there regularly in the late 1960s/early '70s, which is largely responsible for my railway enthusiasm!
Although I've never had a cab ride, sitting at the front on their DMU is pretty good, as was a brake van ride about 30 years ago.
No idea when I'll go on it again, though the Dean Forest and Perrygrove lines are only a few miles from our new abode, and Wales is a lot nearer than it was.
11 years ago when I started working at Ham Street Station, 20s were still in regular use on the Dungeness Flask trains, it's pretty amazing that these steam-age Diesels were still in use so late.
Glad you enjoyed your trip, Phil!
Simon.