I had a lot of reasons for visiting the model tramway event at Crich this year.
First, I'm layout shopping for work. I've always felt that model tramways are under-represented, and if I'm going to find something that will work on the page, surely this is the place?
Second, this was one of my Dad's favourite museums. I remember many years ago on our first visit, he was like a kid in a sweetshop. He loved trams, and there they were. Running through a street scene, and beautifully restored. And so many of them! I had arranged to donate a couple of boxes of die-cast models so they could be sold to raise a bit of money. I gained a chunk of useful space in my office; the tramway museum brings in some funds to help their work.
And thirdly, I just enjoy the day out. It's only 90 minutes up the motorway, and as a member, I get in for free.
As far as model tramways go, I drew a blank again. There were a couple of interesting N gauge models, but nothing that would stand the sort of scrutiny of a magazine shoot. My favourite OO model was nice, but very narrow, and once you start to take 3/4 views, this becomes an issue. Never mind, maybe next year.
However, there were more model railways than tramways, and I spotted a couple I need to investigate. One problem was that several were upstairs in the workshop, and the lighting is good for exhibits, and hopeless for models. None of which had their own lighting rig. Much peering through the gloom was required, which was a shame.
Outside, the first tram I saw, and indeed rode on, was a four-wheel LCC car. I've inherited a part of a 3/4-inch-scale model of something very similar (a Preston car, I think), so this was appropriate.
Little Brian posed on the dashboard of this, and Bluebell, another of his favourites.
I enjoy the changes to the museum over the years. The buildings have changed a bit, we no longer have a little engine shed beside the shop for example, and the ice cream kiosk has become a pair of vintage-looking catering lorries.
There were also a couple of ladies wandering around in full 1930s dress, and in character. I heard them chatting to a girl about the price of her coffee, "You'll have to make that last all year!" and marvelling at one of those new-fangled motor cars.
The car in question was 91 years old! I enjoyed a chat with the owner, who had driven it, full of family, from Telford. It's good up to 45mph, so no motorways for that trip.
An enjoyable day. The weather helped; it can be a bit chilly on top of the hill in an open-top tram, but Dad always insisted on heading for the top deck, so I had to do the same. Just like he always liked lemon meringue pie, so I had to eat that on his behalf as well!
You can see more photos from the trip over on Flickr.





No comments:
Post a Comment