Thursday, August 06, 2026

I got some Gauge 3 into September's BRM!

 

Bin day

You could say one of my practicals in BRM is a bit rubbish - well I was asked to take a modern dustcart, and work it into a diorama. The good news is that as well as the modelling, I've written a little history of wheelie bins!

As a bonus, I've modelled a man using a manhole to come up from under the road. 

In the four-step section, my first coach makes an appearance, being fitted out with passengers. Timely, as there is a little discussion floating around wondering if model buses should be available with passengers fitted in them. 

Fitting passengers in a model coach

My camera has been out for a couple of cracking layouts. 

First, we have Temple Bridge in OO. The moment I saw this at Stafford show, I wanted to shoot it. The builder has really nailed the London atmosphere. Not just a terminus station and loads of yellow bricks, but with a small factory tucked in the middle of the scene. While there are less of these today than in the past, they are still a feature of the capital.  

Model archway garage

Next, we have Littlecliff on Sea, in Gauge 3. 

Littecliff on Sea

I know, shouldn't Gauge 3 be part of the Garden Rail remit? In this case, I lobbied hard to say it was a BRM subject. This is one of the most detailed layouts I have ever seen. I'd go so far as to say it will be in my top five model railway layouts, I have ever seen. And I've enjoyed looking at a lot of layouts. The modelling is stunning, the atmosphere perfect. My only complaint is that it took its builder only six months to create. 

Seriously, this is a layout worth buying the magazine for on its own. Who knows, maybe the photos will inspire a few modellers taking flight from the smaller gauges where there is a lot of RTR, to consider larger scales because of the detailing possibilities on offer. 

No comments: