Sunday, February 26, 2006

Crash, bang, wallop what a chassis


Shorting Barclay chassis
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Before the yards went to bed for the summer, I’ve been testing my Barclay chassis. The model has never encountered pointwork before now as it was intended for display. Straight track testing just ensured it worked, what it didn’t highlight was the effect the over-long guard irons would have.

First time out on anything with curves and there is a lump and the controller shows a short. Those dangly bits are lower then the top of the rails !

Bending them to the correct profile helped but wasn’t easy as the soldered joints were tiny and not very strong. Two had to be re-made with superglue. Even then I shortened the irons a bit to get plenty of clearance. Not sure if the kit is at fault here or (more likely) my assembly. I could live without these bits even though it would dent my finescale credentials.

My model now attacks the points without any worries which means it can go back to the paint shop for lettering and weathering.

No comments: