Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A sort of naming ceremony


Naming the boat
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Since I’ve never been good with transfers – many of the railway models have slightly wonky numbers for example – the task of sticking the letters on my boat wasn’t something I approached with enthusiasm. Let’s face it, if they aren’t right it’s going to stand out even on the other side of the lake !

The toughest job is getting the letter spacing right. I’s need less space than P’s, but how much less ?

Time to make the computer earn its keep. My DTP package allowed me to print the name out full size and since the letters were in Arial font I could get an exact match with the stickers.

The wording was then cut out along the top of the letters. Stuck on to the hull with Scotch “Magic” Tape I had a line for the base of each letter and the spacing. Once I’d come up with the idea I was able to do the job very quickly and the results are pretty good.

No comments: