Monday, February 27, 2006

One man's junk


Electrical junk
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
A bag was thrust under my nose the other day.

“Can you use any of this stuff ?” I was asked.

I dived in along with a couple of others. They were excited about a big circuit board (“Lots of components”) and a power supply. I was the only one who recognised some solenoids (bottom row of the photo), a motor and an interesting double variable resistor. I suspect we were looking at the bones of a pretty old fashioned stereo stack system.

To be honest I’m not sure what this stuff will get used for. The solenoids work, pulling the pins in on 12V quite sharply. The motor revs slowly on the same voltage. The resistor, well it just looked interesting. With wires removed they have been secreted in the bits box to await a new lease of life.

I know I’m not alone in doing this – would anyone else like to volunteer interesting goodies that they have “rescued” ?

No comments: