Friday, May 26, 2006

No rust in here now.


VW Carb
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Charge the battery and the engine turns over – it just won’t fire. So I give it a shot of carb cleaner in the top which gets things moving. And he idles ! Really well !

OK, lets try some revs. Splutter, pop. Hmmm, Unscrew the plug from the bottom of the tank on the side of the carb. Petrol all over the engine. Spray carb cleaner in and do the plug up. He starts again.

Still not much in the way of revs though. I tweaked the mix, the idle speed (idle was still OK) and even the timing but nothing helped or even made any real difference.

Then he wouldn’t start again. Nothing. Must be dirt in there. So I take the carb off and move to the bench. I am getting worryingly quick at this.

Cleaner is shot though everywhere I can shoot cleaner. All seems to flow freely so I put it back together.

Result – a little better but it’s still not happy on the revs. Turning the richness up seems to help a bit but I still don’t fancy venturing off the drive on my own at present.

The fuel filter hasn’t filled with muck yet though. I suppose that must be some consolation.

No comments: