Friday, September 19, 2008

Lighthouse under construction

One of the major features on the Flockburgh scenic board is to be a navigation light on the entrance. Scratching around for a suitable prototype for this I've settled on the ones seen on Laxey Harbour.

The trouble with these are that they are round and I don't own a lathe. I did look for some hexagonal prototypes but couldn't find anything. Presumably in real life round stands up better to the sea conditions and isn't that hard to build. You'd think designer would consider the needs of modellers, but no.

Anyway, a trawl of junk and charity shops gave me some oddments to "kitbash" into a representation of the building. The base (purple in the photo) is an upturned glass scented candle holder. The wax came out easily enough but the wick stayed put so I've left it alone.

Laxey harbour entranceTo this I stuck rims of plasticard using superglue. The top is plastic trimmed back to the rim when dry. Humbrol filler finished these bits off neatly. Gluing to glass isn't easy and I had to do it in stages, clamping every so often. A bit more attention paid would have revealed that the colour is a translucent paint and probably should have been scraped off before work started but it didn't so it wasn't.

The top with the light is a cap from a PVA glue bottle found in a stationery shop. I'm not sure how long the glue will last without this but It was worth buying for this moulding. Capping this and providing a dome is the bowl from the half teaspoon size measuring spoon from a set bought in cheap shop. For 99p I have a set of graduating domes for other projects too !

There's obviously some work to do and I'll post pictures of the finished item after the weekend if I'm happy with the result. If not we will never talk of this again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing the results. By the way, there's a great gallery over at www.leuchttuerme.de with over a hundred lighthouses from different countries, of all shapes: it's where I found the one for Westerooge from, for example.