Sunday, September 28, 2008

Markits Gearbox


Gearbox
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
If you fancy ordering one of these beasts you need to quote MM1-85382s. And what you would receive is a very nice nickel silver etch which folds up well to hold a set of 38:1 gears. The motor is offset from the centre line of the box, something that worried me when I noticed it but seems to work very well.

The motor mount holes have to be drilled and reamed out - 4 are provided and I used the inner pair. I also snipped off the "ears" that allow the motor to be mounted flat as these would get in the way of the slimline chassis sides.

I only had one problem - the worm was intended for a 2mm shaft and the motor I was using had 1.5mm. Obviously this has occurred before as in my spares box was the correct version, now replace in there by the one supplied.

The mesh was excellent straight away and the axle turned in it's (supplied) thin bearings freely and with no tight spots.

I may have to hack away a bit at the metal to get the 'box into the chassis but there is plenty of meat to allow this without affecting anything.

No comments: