Monday, November 17, 2008

Class 14 pile


Class 14 pile
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.

After the long stretch of Garratt making, time for what I hope will be a quick project. The pile of bits you see in the photo will hopefully become a Class 14 diesel soon. In time for Warley soon. That's by the end of the week.

Those with long memories or a copy of the Railway Modeller from a few months ago might remember that I've built one of these locos before as a test build for Mercian. The deal that time was that for my efforts I'd get another complete kit.

Well I actually have about one and a half kits since while last at Mercian HQ (a bunker 5 miles beneath the streets of Birmingham where world domination is planned, no not really) I nicked the part built model I assembled for the first test. The one the pattern maker borrowed to create the castings and that has sat on a shelf ever since because the kit was then re-etched in nickel silver.

I though I'd made a pretty decent job of my first go so I have taken the old model and a load of new bits to see if I can turn it into a finished product without starting from scratch with a new kit. Things look good so far as a scrub with Hob Brite has removed the worst of the tarnish from the metal. The wheels go round on the chassis too.

Actually, when I look back I built the previous Teddy Bear in a hurry for Warley last year. Deja-vu ?

No comments: