Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Commissioning the power units


Hind power unit
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
The painting is nearly done so it's time to start putting this model locomotive together again.

I've started with the power units. The valve gear has been cleaned up as best I can and quite a bit of paint was scraped off the wheels. Final polishing with the fibre pen made things look a whole lot better. Happily everything still seems to work freely so I lightly oiled the important bearings.

Next the motor went back in - it had been removed while I was spraying. I fiddled with the gear mesh a lot until the running was reasonably smooth. It's always been a little tight and (engineers, look away now) I have run a file on the brass crown wheel to take the tops off the teeth to ease things. Molybdenum grease helps as well.

The buffers needed the threaded section of the shanks shortening slightly to allow full travel before they hit the cylinder fronts.

Finally the fluted bit of the rods has been filled with red paint. Apparently this is something the NCB used to do to brighten up their locos. I wasn't sure but having done it, the result is very attractive.

No comments: