Sunday, November 09, 2008

Yellow lines

Yellow linesThe relieve the dark blue colour scheme, this locomotive is to receive a single yellow line around the tanks and cab side.

Easy, I thought. Break out the Bob Moore lining pen and run it around the edges. Then I played around with this and discovered that all the lines I could draw were far too narrow. Good for 4mm scale but hopeless for 7mm.

Out with the bow pen and a fresh pot of lemon yellow. And a couple of hours messing around trying to get something remotely acceptable. I put the locomotive aside at one point convinced I was going to have to give up on this as the results were rubbish. Coming back a couple of hours later and things didn't look so bad - with a bit of tinkering I was able to get nearly there. It's not perfect and if the model eventually gets a repaint by someone competent I won't be offended. For the moment a realistically heavy weathering job will have to cover the worst problems.

No comments: