Friday, March 27, 2009

Barclay in primer and paint


Barclay in primer
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker
With work on the gearbox stalled attention shifts back to the body. One thing I am confident in is that the mechanism will go in here - so with no more work required, I can lay on some paint. This is a long process anyway as there is a lot of waiting for things to dry. Either that or lots of fixing things because you should have waited for them to dry and now have finger marks !

A coat of Eastwoods etching primer unified the model and allowed me to look objectively at it. There were a couple of minor areas to be touched up especially on the back bufferbeam which needed a touch of filler. Mostly though I think I get away with it. Sharp eyed readers will notice I haven't masked the slide bars or rods very well - that's not laziness on my part, the prototype has red paint on these parts.

Painting threw up another challenge. The real steam engine is blue. A blue described as "Oxford" but sadly not the same colour as the Oxford blue in the Humbrol range. The colour appears to fall somewhere between numbers 14 and 15 with more 14. Of course in the photos light effects make it difficult to get an exact match and even if I could, this probably wouldn't look right in miniature due to the effects of atmosphere on our vision. Generally colours have to be a shade or two lighter when shrunk. There is science to work this sort of thing out properly but I have neither the time nor brainpower to understand it properly, and am not convinced it would make a big difference if I could.

So a mix of the two colours was made up and compared to the pictures. When happy I sprayed a coat all over the model. After a dust free overnight drying session, I think I might get away with it. The gloss finish is horrible (and always is on models as millions of diecast cars attest) but some satin varnish once the bufferbeams are painted will fix this. I also forgot to paint the sandboxes (they are seperate to make under boiler painting easier) but will do these with a brush later today.

Blue locoOf course I'm not discounting the possibility that once varnished this locomotive isn't going in the paint stripper so I can have a second go. Having missed the deadline I will use the extra time to get a better finish. Or go mad in the attempt.

No comments: