Saturday, March 14, 2009

Foul play or fairies ?


Slingshot in bits
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker

Spring approaches which for model boaters means it's time to think seriously about some sailing. Pleasant days on the banks of the lake tootling around with a radio controlled boat and chatting with like minded people are in the horizon. And with the new formula 1 season kicking off, it must mean the racing boats will be in action too.

With this in mind I've unearthed my Slingshot. Having won the first season I was disappointed last year not to be competitive. Even worse the boat didn't complete the the series of races thanks to some unexplained breakdowns. This year I want to do better.

Looking at the pile of bits that is my boat I couldn't find all the parts. Specifically the prop shaft and propeller. As the rules prohibit pushing your craft around the course, I can't see me winning many races without these !

Strangely the boat had been in store since I took it apart trying to find the fault last year. It's been in a box and I'm sure was all there when it went in. How did the bits escape ?

This isn't a problem just for boat modellers. Everyone who has ever taken something apart knows that somehow vital parts will vanish into thin air. No matter how careful you are you reach a point of re-assembly when you thing "Where is that .... ?". Now in this case I might attribute blame to my competitors who fear a return to form and think swiping the drive parts will slow me down. Normally though I think it is fairies. Yes, modellers fairies.

You see they flit around and pinch the odd screw or bolt from the workbench. Then they drop them where someone else is working. That explains why you always seem to have an odd bolt or screw left over when you put things back together.

No comments: