Saturday, March 28, 2009

Painting progress


Satin painted Barclay
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker
Jobs done:
Handrails - black
Footplate - black
Springs - black
Clack valves and pipework - black
Safety valve - black with red detailing
Spectacle rims - cleaned back to brass
Lamp irons - white
Buffer beams - red (4 coats !)

Finally, the whole thing received a coat of satin varnish. With relief I noted that the blue paintwork now looks a whole lot less toy-like. In fact this model locomotive is looking pretty nice. I rarely paint a steam engine blue as they often look awful but perhaps because of the industrial prototype, this looks really nice. Mind you, it's a much brighter blue than I would have ever dared to use. If there hadn't been a photograph to guide me I suspect I'd have gone for a much darker shade.

Next up is the painting of anything that should have a matt finish - chimney, smokebox, cab interior and buffers for example.

No comments: