Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Painting a 16mm scale guard Part 1

Guard Painting Part 1

I picked this figure up from a box at the end of the Modeltown stand at Peterborough. He was in a box of cheap figures and I liked the look of his pose.

Anyway, I'm assuming that he made it in the cheap box due to some air holes under his elbow and on his nose. A quick splodge of filler took care of these. The resin he's moulded in felt slippery so the next stop was the kitchen sink for a scrub with washing up liquid.

After this, a shot of Halfords car primer made it easier to see the detail. The white resin is as difficult to see in real life as it is in the photo above. Getting some colour on there made life easier.

Finally (for today) Humbrol flesh tone was dry-brushed with it's Revell equivalent and the eyes picked out with a small brush and some track colour paint.

2 comments:

Odds said...

I have to say, Phil, if that's 16mm scale it was probably in the cheapo box because it's bloody awful! At that scale, there is no excuse for a caricature. It seems to me that too many figure makers get away with the Hobbit look as so-called character. Character comes from observation, accuracy of the anatomy and the pose. Check out the slot racing drivers being made by Immense Miniatures for instance. At a third the size you just KNOW it's Alfred Neubauer or Graham Hill.

Phil Parker said...

Garden railway figures tend toward the cartoonish. I've got a few really accurate ones from Pieser (as detailed as the Immense Miniatures ones) and they don't look right when your scenery is real plants and the ballast is small gravel.

If I were building a finescale large scale layout then my feelings would be different and I'd want detail but outside, I really do prefer the cartoon look.