Thursday, August 31, 2017

Oh the huminiatures!

The railbus needs a driver - well models hurtling around the track without anyone on board look weird to me - but I never seemed to be near suitable traders to buy one. 


Truth is, even if I had, being hidden inside the car, I simply didn't need to spend a load of money on a high-quality model. Rooting around in the cupboard, I found a few sprues of Slater's Huminiatures. OK, they are a bit basic and the mould was obviously worn when this shot was made, but with a little tickling up they would do the job.





I've used the rather oddly shaped man with his arms spread over the bench seat. Chopping around a bit, he sticks really well with Mek-Pak, I narrowed his stance to fit in the confines of the driver seat. Since you can't see his shoulder, I didn't worry about filler. The other arm was more of a challenge as it has to clear the PCB, but sticking out like this he seems to fit.


Lifecolor flesh tones followed by blue overalls, pale grey shirt and dark grey hat'n'boots did the job. I nearly didn't bother with the boots as you can't see his feet but relented when it just seemed off not to do the whole job. A wash of Citadel weathering black finished the look and he's now UHU'd into position.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was about 13, some 50 years ago, when I read about huminitures, probably in one of Mr. Edward Beals books and tried my local toy shop to get some. They had never heard of them, so I was never able to try out the, "Hot water" treatment in order to amend the position of arms and legs.
This is the first time I have seen what I could not find 50 years ago! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Glad I found your post, Phil! I have been looking for some basic figures to emulate the 0 Scale Dinky figures of yesteryears! With a bit of tweaking they’ll be just the the job!