Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Warehouse Wednesday: Presco Buildings hut


This is one of those buildings that ought to be available from the model railway trade, but as far as I am aware, isn't.

Little fibreglass hut like this were a common feature of many linesides from the 1970s onwards, but have since vanished. Presumably the crews don't need accommodation locally any more as they all arrive in vans with on-board facilities. Dunno. You don't see these any more though. (The is one half way up Snaefell).

This example is a Butterly station and looking the worse for wear. As it was on the other side of the tracks, I couldn't get a photo or measurements but I'd say it's a candidate for a plastic scratchbuild (don't say 3D printing, those curves need to be smooth) and then resin casting.

Presco, who made this hut, have gone bust and been acquired by Elliot, but the hut doesn't seem to be in the current range.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

4 years late in answering but the dimensions are 5ft wide x5ft high x5ft long

Phil Parker said...

Not a problem - it's always nice to know. Thanks!

3Jumps said...

Hi Phil,
Your blog came up when I googled my dad's business, Presco! Great that you love making and fixing things...which is how my dad started. Yes, he won the job to supply British Rail with one of those popular steel cabins at the time, when I was a child. One thing I'd have to correct on his behalf is that Presco didn't go bust - he just sold the business as he was coming to retirement....many moons ago now. He's just about to turn 91!
Best wishes
Vicky

Phil Parker said...

Thanks Vicky - I'm happy to be corrected. It's always nice to hear of a good reason for a business to finish, and I wish your dad many more happy years of retirement!

3Jumps said...

Thanks Phil - and now I've had a good look at all your model work (plus the hilarious letters to Nigeria!) - very impressive indeed! Keep having fun :-)