Saturday, August 26, 2017

Saturday Film Club: Nettlecombe



Back to Brian Macdermotts's list for this weeks film. Nettlecombe is one of the those layouts where the rolling stock is secondary to the scenery modelling. There is some lovely detail which the film rightly concentrates on, even if it proves quite how hard it it so video this sort of thing with such limited depth of field provided by most cameras. 

I think I have connections with everyone in the film too. John and Jane Jacobs have made a number of lovely layouts that I've admired at shows. We booked one (Fiddlers Green I think) for our event and once they arrived, helped out unloading the trailer. Sadly, our over-enthusiasm wasn't appreciated and we were told to put everything back so each board could be brought out in the correct order. 

Mark Found came to our clubrooms once and I'm pretty sure I managed to get myself on a DVD he made in the good old Railway Channel days. He didn't realise he had a future star on his hands back then though...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great video. I've also seen the one from Lemington Spa Clubhouse where I believe someone had more hair!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for featuring our layout "Nettlecombe" and your kind comments.
Best wishes,
John & Jane Jacobs

Phil Parker said...

No problem. I really love your layouts - loads of character and life.

Matt Haynes said...

Dear John and Jane,

I first saw your layout, Nettlecombe, in Huddersfield whilst I was attending University as a music student. I spent well over an hour looking at it quite spell bound. I think it was a show in Holmfirth (2005??? 2006???)

What I would really like to know is if you are still exhibiting this layout and where I might travel to to see it once again in the flesh. It's utterly superb and the video (whilst excellent) just can not quite match being around this wonderful piece of art.

Amazing!

Do tell me if I can see it again... or if you are exhibiting other work you have done more recently than Nettlecombe.

With all good wishes,

Matt Haynes (Leicester)

Unknown said...

Phil, might you be able to help me out with some form of contact for John and Jane...

Phil Parker said...

Sorry, it was a very long time ago.