Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The best laid plans


This thing is full of jobs I'm not looking forward to. Each time I think, "Well now that's done, the rest will be easy." and each time, it isn't.

So, I have to drill some holes and fit the handrails and door handles. Fiddly, but follow the plan and all will be well.

The plan though. When I measure it, doesn't seem to correspond to the model. A little work with the calculator and it seems it's slightly bigger. By about 5%

But only in one direction. Length-wise, it's pretty much right. Height. No chance.

Bugger.

Fortunately, I have a copy of A Pictorial Record of British Railways Diesel Multiple Units by Brian Golding. It's a pretty dull read, but the pictures are excellent. Loads of accurate* 4mm scale plans for the modeller to work from.

Phew.

*If you are about to tell me something along the lines of "I think you will find that the plan on page..." then don't bother. They are near enough for me. These things are only motorised coaches and anyway, I'm building an MTK kit. Almost the definition of "If you want to go there, don't start from here."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Difference in scale in length and width of a print is common, or used to be, with laser printers and photocopiers. On an A4 laser printer the long side is controlled by a stepper motor feeding the paper which is fairly accurate. The width however is done by the laser scanning across via mirrors which is prone to an error.
Inkjet printers are better for printing out drawings.

Brian G

Huw Griffiths said...

Errm ... yes ... MTK.

I'm sure some people might remember who designed those kits - and how he marketed some of his 7mm ones.